10/06/2013

Sunday Morning (Cover) - Shama Joseph



Music has become a serious love of mine. I remember when I was younger, I knew almost every Top 40 chart song before most people did and I thought that was it. I thought I knew there was to know about music. (Psshhhhh).
Looking back, I knew nothing. All I knew of was what was popular and what my peers deemed as good music. I didn't understand the art, the passion or the concept of diversity. I thought most of the music my parents listened to was old and had nothing over the mainstream acts of my time.

Although this is true, I was Joe, R.Kelly, TLC, Ashanti & Ja Rule and a few other's biggest fan in my younger days. I still am.
Me and my Dad often used to have debates on how music was better in his time. He would tell me about how most of the music I hear now, stems from music he grew up listening to. That it was nothing new. Me being my stubborn self, I couldn't receive it.

Nowadays I find my self sifting through old mixtapes and albums by artists I always heard my elders talk about. The music I used to groan at every time my Dad would switch off the radio to play his CD's. The likes of Barrington Levi and Oliver Mtukudzi (if you know, you know). 

My music taste has matured and it inspires me, broadens my mind and more than anything else, I enjoy listening. This is due to the wide range of genres I am now able to appreciate.

A friend of mine, Shama, recently uploaded some of her music on to Sound Cloud and she inspired me to write this post. Why? Because it is a perfect example of what music is. Art. 

Intricately simple, imperfectly perfect and impersonally personal.

I am literally in love with her cover of 'Sunday Morning'. Her tone is pure and delicate, yet passionate.
 In terms of listening experience, this cover left more of an imprint on me than the original by Maroon 5. I say this because, I felt it a lot more, the lyrics sunk in and embedded themselves within me.

Have a listen and let me know or even, let her know (@Shamshake) what you thought, based on a love for music. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much , you're truly an amazing writer and so nice for writing about this :)

    ReplyDelete